The woman before Eve. The first outcast. The mother of darkness, the goddess of independence, of the dark moon, of feminine power. I feel drawn to this goddess, as a lot of women do. She stands for all women. She demands equality. She is the woman of now.
The biblical myth begins with Lilith refusing his advances, refusing to subvert her power, to refusing to submit to Adam. She is then exiled by Adam and god from the garden of eden. There are folktales of Lilith surrounding demons, vampires, and legends of her seduction. Ultimately, she was the first victim of patriarchy.
Now is the time to connect to our inner Lilith. The feminine is still battling the patriarchal systems that have been set in place for thousands of years. Historically, and even now, the patriarchy has instilled guilt and shame onto women, taking away women’s power, promoting inequality and limiting progress. As Lilith demonstrates, the feminine is strong, focused, powerful. And now, more than ever, is the time for women to come into their power. To reclaim the feminine. To make change. Lilith lights the path for this journey.
The idea for Lilith was presented by my magical friend, Raquel. We had been musing over a few ideas, but when she proposed Lilith – everything fell into place. We drove through a valley in Malibu, pulled off to the side of the road, and honored the goddess Lilith.
I invite you to honor Lilith, too.
What You Need
- Crystals: five your choice to make a pentagram. I used skeleton angel quartz, hematite, snakeskin agate, black tourmaline, and lightning quartz.
- Palo Santo
- Jasmine Oil
- Sit somewhere outside. Connect to the earth. Close your eyes and breathe deeply for a few minutes.
- Place your stones in a pentagram.
- Light the palo santo. Circle the smoke around you clockwise three times.
- Anoint the jasmine oil on your wrists. Anoint anywhere on your body that you feel needs strength.
- Repeat the following:
“Lilith, dark goddess, I call to thee.
You who have divine sovereignty.
Windstorm, mother of free mind and free spirit.
I ask for your guidance, your strength,
to release fear, guilt, and shame.
I empower myself,
with your blessed guidance and protection.
As I will it, so mote it be.